Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Stations on Skin

Every week during Lent, my pastor conducts Stations of the Cross on Friday nights.

Sometimes, I just walk around the sanctuary, going from station to station, concentrating on Love's ultimate Sacrifice.

I came upon a very unique presentation of the stations by a truly gifted Christian artist named Scott Erickson. He designed ten different tattoos representing the iconic stops of the Passion.

A number of volunteers got inked with the designs. Brilliant photos were taken, printed and enlarged for a gallery. A gallery of the Stations of the Cross. He writes:
"...Around 30 of the tatooees showed up and were the actual living “Stations of the Cross” while hundreds of art enthusiasts came by and interacted with the show.
 It was an awesome night.



...  Before the gallery opening, one of the tattoo participants asked me what the most surprising aspect of the project was. Was it that so many people got tattoos? Thinking about it, my response is that I was surprised by how thankful everyone is who partook in the show by getting a tattoo. Pretty much everyone who got a tattoo thanked me for putting on this project and working hard on the designs. Their tattoo process meant a ton to them and they just had gratitude for being in a community that provided them the chance to get a meaningful tattoo.


There have been many comments from outsiders on this project and everyone feels like they should have a place to say their opinion. Well good for them. For me though, I know this was worth doing for the fruit I’m seeing in this community and in the lives of the people who participated. It’s been such an honor to be able to be involved in this."

 It's such an honor for you to share your work with the world, Scott! I'm actually eying a couple of his designs for my future tattoos. It's getting about that time. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Blessings...
    Hope you are well and life is treating you kind.

    More power to those that choose their skin as canvas for me i prefer not too. I saw this man on the street he had so many tats that there was barely any clean skin visible. I said to him, "i guess now your ration of blood to ink is 50/50 now eh." He laughs and says, "pretty much."

    stay blessed.
    rhapsody
    http://www.shelfari.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    https://plus.google.com/i/S4Sks2h9x1U:PFH4LoUrgxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Yes, I'm not the type who would get sleeves, but I have seen some that are pretty awesome. I have two tattoos- one on my right inner wrist, the letter K for my hubby, and another, a purple star, on my left hip. They both have a lot of meaning to me and aren't so attention grabbing. My hair typically gets more looks from people, lol.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete