Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Naps, Kinks, Coils & Curls



Did you hear about Solange Knowles' Twitter rant? From Black Girl With Long Hair:

“Just taking a moment to rant against natural hair police” ~Solange Knowles
Solange had a lot on her mind last night as she took to Twitter to speak against naturals who have questioned the authenticity of her big chop and criticized her for rocking “undefined” looks all the time. Check it out;

I cut my hair ALL off 4 times in my life all for very different reasons….I only reiterate this because this is nothing new for me.
I’ve never painted myself as a team natural vice president. I don’t know the lingo and I don’t sleep with a satin cap…

However, I did noticed when I picked out my hair, I kept seeing feedback about needing a “twist out”. Connnnfesssioonnn: I HATE twist outs.

I dont want to talk about no damn hair…..no mo.

So what got Solange all fired up? A post on natural hair Tumblr blog Moderne Meid, which was itself summarizing a post from a DIFFERENT natural hair website that attracted some very uncomplimentary comments about Solange’s hair, including that it is not unique, and looks dry and unkempt (aka, not always in a twist out).
I think it's ridiculous that some people think they must tell complete strangers how they NEED to wear their own hair. What is that about? And sadder still that those people are fellow naturals. I also think Solange should have probably chose those 140 characters better since, well, as a spokesperson for Carol's Daughter, a haircare line, she will have to indeed, talk about hair. And on the regular.

But what caught and held my attention is the fact that yes, there are a number of people who feel that yes, natural chicas need to define every curl and coil. I know because in regular life, when I rock my hair in a true, 1970's style, Jackson 5, Angela Davis afro, I catch some stares, or receive tepid comments.

My afro, my hair halo.

When I throw some Eco Styler on my strands, and the coils freeze and shine, the comments not only thaw, but heat right up into complimentary praise.

 Still a fro, but now full of coils.

Like good for me, I've tamed the wild bush. Sigh.

I love my hair. Either way. And when it's straightened, too. But why can't kinky hair, no matter how "defined" or not, get love? Especially from other naturals?

2 comments:

  1. I’ve never painted myself as a team natural vice president.

    Gotta love Solange's response.

    ReplyDelete