Sunday, November 6, 2011

Solace in Solemn Solitude

I'm not Catholic, but I slip into a nearby Catholic church to pray. I've been doing this semi-secret ritual for about two years now. I usually walk out with tear-stained cheeks and a humbled heart. At the very least, I walk away feeling more at peace.

Protestant churches, most of them anyway, aren't open like many Catholic ones are. It took time for me to get use to walking into a church and not having an usher or, in today's Purpose-Driven church lingo, a greeter, come bounding at me with a program and/or fliers. I almost felt like it was a mistake. Why was the doors open, lights on and a few people present but the church wasn't "on"?

I've come to love the "offness" of it all. I sometimes walk the whole sanctuary, looking at the Stations of the Cross or reading the creed etched into the stained glass windows. Or, I just stare at the windows.

And after about forty-five minutes, I light a couple of candles, cross myself and leave.

No priest, no absolution, but here is my confession. I seek solace in a church named for a saint who held a marathon prayer session and is invoked to help with illness.

Supposedly so off, but so on point to my life.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog too! Wow! You are multitalented :) And I really appreciate the post. Being a new Chrsitian I have A LOT of questions and confusion about Catholisicm. I'm sure I'll get to share them in time. But this was probably the first thing I've read about it that made me actually SORT OF understand what Catholics might find comforting in it. I kind of don't understand how Catholics could actually read their Bibles and not see all the places where the Word and the religion don't match up, but this post left a nice, creative space to just enjoy. Partof it for what it is and where it fits in your day, which is refreshing. Thanks! Aja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aja,

    Thanks! I clearly have just started this one. But I figured I'd dump my emo postings over here because I tend to confuse people when I get faux-existential. And also, do not have a conclusion, just an end. Blog readers like clear conclusions. Trolls don't. They just like to read half the title and then fly off the handle about how stupid everything is.

    As for Catholicism, let me give a brief summary of my feelings here. The best way to learn about something is from, if possible, a primary source. So, in attempting to learn about what the Roman Catholic Church actually teaches, I went through parts of the Catechism. I also have a copy a Catholic Bible which have those extra books the Prots edited out centuries ago. I then tried speaking to my Catholic friends, but at this point, I knew more than them because of the aforementioned research. Yes, I can tell you the difference between mortal sins and venial sins.

    So, I then turned to the internet and read Catholic sites (like Catholic Answers) and blogs (like Mark Shea's). I then compared that to NKJV Bible, various Protestant sites (like CARM and Equip.org). I lastly, actually spoke to a couple of priests and my mother-in-law, who is Catholic and teaches RCIA classes at her parish.

    Why did I do all this? Because, one I'm bored a lot. Two, I have a slightly strange fascination with Religion. It's mostly strange because I started doing this study as a child, when I checked out various books on the topic from the library. Three, because I want to not only be able to say why I'm a Christian, but also, why I'm NOT [insert denomination, faith, religion, cult here].

    As a new Christian, I cautiously advise you to read up on other groups, too, making sure to stay grounded in Christ. Also, learn about varying beliefs within Protestant Christianity. Calvinism vs. Arminianism, Oneness doctrine, Seventh Day Adventists, baptism, Communion, women in leadership... the list seems never ending.

    Forgive this loooong response, but I wanted to give you a thorough reply. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate! :-)

    ReplyDelete